Roulette is one of the most popular casino games due to it being based purely on luck, along with the fact it has one of the widest range of different betting options of any betting game. And because it is one of the most widely played titles, it can often be very busy around the table, and difficult to place the wagers you want to place.
Online roulette eliminates the clutter, and allows players from countries where online gambling is legal aged 18 years and older to enjoy legal, real money betting on a huge variety of roulette variations. Please note Australians cannot use the advice on this page as online gambling is currently illegal in the country as of September 2017.
Best online roulette gambling sites
Below are the top Internet roulette betting platforms for international players, offering numerous versions of the game, such as European roulette, French roulette and American roulette, along with a myriad of diverse wagers, many of which you would be unable to play at your local land based casinos.
- 32 Red Casino – Esteemed Microgaming powered online gambling site which won the honour of “Best Online Casino of the Decade” in 2010.
- Leo Vegas Casino – Instant play browser-based gambling website which has been recognised for a highly innovative and user friendly mobile casino.
- Thrills Casino – More than 500 gaming titles powered by multiple software developers, like Microgaming, Net Entertainment, Playtech, Evolution Gaming, Thunderkick, Play’n Go and NYX Gaming.
- Rizk Casino – New online and mobile gaming platform, with its gaming catalogue categorised in detailed sections, so players can browse titles most suited to their preferences.
- Guts Casino – Known for its collection of 3D, interactive animated pokies games, Guts has fast established itself as one of the key players in the online gambling industry.
- Slots Million – Boasting more than 1000 pokies, Slots Million is the best platform to enjoy a stunning variety of immersive, interactive, themed slots titles.
All endorsed casino sites have smartphone and tablet optimised platforms (simply open the links directly from your mobile or tablet device). All deal with multiple currencies, allow for secure banking via online and globally trusted banking methods, and are licensed and regulated by gaming commissions and independent testing agencies.
What is inside and outside betting?
Specific to roulette, inside and outside betting refers to players’ wagers placed on specific areas of the roulette betting table.
Refers to all wagers on the outer of the roulette betting table layout (outside the individual numbers layout). The bets are as follows:
- Red and Black
- Odd and Even
- 1-18 (Low) and 19-36 (High)
- Dozens bets – 1st 12 (1-12), 2nd 12 (13-24) and 3rd 12 (25-36)
- Column bets (the betting layout is divided into three columns, and to play this wager, you place your chips below the desired column)
Refers to all wagers on the inner of the roulette betting table layout (confined to the individual numbers layout). These bets are as follows:
- Single number wager – also known as a straight-up bet. Chips are placed directly on the specific number (for example: 28).
- Split bet – a wager on two adjoining numbers. Chips are placed on the intersecting line of the two numbers (for example: 10, 11).
- Street bet – a wager on a row of three adjacent numbers. Chips are placed on the outer-edge line of the number at the end or start of the row (for example: 22, 23, 24).
- Corner wager – also known as a square bet, this wager covers a square of four numbers, and chips are placed on the intersection of the horizontal and vertical line between the four numbers (for example: 4, 5, 7, 8).
- Six line bet – a wager that covers six numbers (can be described as two adjoining street bets). Place your chips on the outer-edge line where the two desired rows intersect (for example: 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36).
- Trio bet – specific to a single-zero layout game (European roulette). Place your chips at the intersecting point between either 0, 1 and 2, or 0, 2 and 3.
- Basket bet – differs for a single-zero and double-zero (American roulette) layout game. In European (and French) roulette, the wager covers the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, and chips are placed on the outer-edge, intersecting line of the 0 and the 1, 2, 3 columns. In American roulette, a basket wager can cover any of the following combinations of numbers: 0, 1, 2; 00, 2, 3; or 0, 00, 2. To make the bet, chips are placed at the intersecting point of the desired numbers.
- Top line bet (also called first five) – specific to a double-zero layout game, and the exact same as a six line bet, but only covering the top five numbers of 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3. Chips are placed on the outer-edge intersecting line of the top and second-from-the-top columns.
As always, we advise online gamblers to play European and French roulette variants, as opposed to American versions, because the American version owns an extra green zero pocket (the double zero), and thus has a much higher house edge, explained below.
At brick and mortar casinos, European roulette variants will often boast a higher table betting limit, but in the online realm of gambling, you can find single-zero tables with minimum wagering limits as small as $0.50.
In addition to the above wagers, you will find other types of wagers which are known as ‘call bets’ and are typically reserved for French roulette variants. However, at online casinos, these wagers are quite common, and add another betting dimension to the game.
Probability and payouts
Here we list the probabilities and payouts of all the above detailed roulette bets, for both European (E) and American (A) versions (note that the payouts are always the same across both versions, aside from the differing basket wagers):
- Red and Black, Odd and Even, 1-18 and 19-36: Payout of 1:1, Probability of 48.65% (E) and 47.37% (A)
- Dozens and Columns: Payout of 2:1, Probability of 32.43% (E) and 31.58% (A)
- Six line – Payout of 5:1, Probability of 16.22% (E) and 15.79% (A)
- Top line – Payout of 6:1, Probability of 13.16% (A) – only applicable for American games
- Corner – Payout of 8:1, Probability of 10.81% (A) and 10.53% (A)
- Basket (E) – Payout of 8:1, Probability of 10.81%
- Basket (A) – Payout of 11:1, Probability of 7.89%
- Trio – Payout of 11:1, Probability of 8.11% (E) – only applicable for European games
- Street – Payout of 11:1, Probability of 8.11% (E) and 7.89% (A)
- Split – Payout of 17:1, Probability of 5.41% (E) and 5.26% (A)
- Single – Payout of 35:1, Probability of 2.70% (E) and 2.63% (A)
There are 37 numbers in total within the European variant (1 in 37 chance of spinning any specific number), while there are 38 numbers in total within the American variant (1 in 38 chance of spinning any specific number). The addition of the extra zero in the American roulette version bumps the house edge up from 2.70% to 5.26%.
The house edge can be calculated as follows:
American: -1 x 37/38 + 35 x 1/38 = −0.0526 (5.26% house edge).
European: -1 x 36/37 + 35 x 1/37 = -0.0270 (2.70% house edge).
These house edges apply for all the above wagers, except the top line bet in the American version. With a payout of 6:1 and the probability of success of just over 13% (five winning numbers divided by a total of 38 numbers), using the above formula, the house edge jumps to 7.89%. This is a bet you should steer well clear of, or as we suggest, simply steer clear of the American game and your odds will be far superior.
Other niche roulette games online
Our promoted casinos also boast other enticing roulette variations, including Spingo (a neat hybrid game of bingo and roulette) and multi wheel roulette, where you can play up to eight European wheels at the same time.
Browse through the selection of tables games at any of the above listed casino sites, and also be sure to check out the range of live dealer roulette titles – roulette games officiated by real human croupiers, with live feeds streamed directly to your screens. Chat with the croupiers, chat with other players, and enjoy a host of great player options.
The random number generated (RNG) roulette games (computer generated) at the listed interactive casinos are all tested to ensure the software is unbiased and fair. The live dealer roulette games are overseen by adjudicators, and technicians are on hand 24/7 in case any issues arise.